Tuesday, September 13, 2011

For the Love of Quilts

Growing up, my husband was fortunate to always have his own favorite quilt to keep him warm as he slumbered each night; as well as quilts in baskets, hanging on quilt racks and draped over couches to grab and snuggle into while doing homework, watching TV, or playing a game on a chilly Ohio night.

When I married Steady Man, I too fell in love with quilts. One quilt somehow manages to keep one cool on a warm summer's night, while two or possibly three will keep one toasty during the coldest mid-winter sleep. And each one, if it is homemade that is, is truly one-of-a-kind. While quilt patterns are often repeated, no two quilters choose exactly the same assortment of fabrics. Variety is also achieved in sizes, borders, and the quilting itself. 

For many years, the only quilts we owned were store bought and mass-manufactured, not unique, not made with love, but they offered us comfort and warmth. My relatives on my maternal grandmother's side are from Appalachia and some of them still practice the skilled and time-honored crafts of quilting, canning and the like. I remember looking at quilts as a child when we travelled to Hazard, Kentucky and hearing the stories about the person who made them and how the fortunate possessors of such quilts came to own them. I keenly recall wistfully longing to have someone make a quilt for me, to hold that kind of place in a quilter's heart.

In our 18 years of marriage, I am delighted to write that we have had many quilts made for our family. The joy that I feel in receiving a homemade quilt has not ebbed over the years. It is always a thrill. I feel as if the quilter has given us a piece of the very best part of themselves. They are heirlooms and will be passed down through the generations, with stories to share about each one, who made it, for which family member it was made, and how it came about that we received it.

Some of the quilters (and crocheters) who have touched our lives include Amy, Jill, Maria, MaryAnn, Maurine and Ruby.




The first quilt we were ever given was made for Historian by Jill and her mom. It is a soothing shade of green with cream blocks and the sweetest bunnies created with candlewick quilting. Next to it is a "big boy quilt" Jill made for Historian during his train obsession years.

Lizard also received an adorable quilt by Jill. In recent years, Maurine made her a lizard-themed quilt. Lizard is currently obsessed with lizards.



Butterfly, too, received several baby quilts, as well as a "big girl quilt."

We have Jill, MaryAnn and Maria to thank for these beauties.


This summer marked the first time I received a quilt of my own, made just for me by my much-cherished Aunt Ruby. A most talented lady, Ruby has always been known for her masterful cooking and home-organization skills, but she had never cared to try sewing. A few months ago, at the invitation of a dear friend, Ruby took a community quilting class, and she constructed a quilt... for me. If you know my Aunt Ruby, you know that she is one of the kindest, cleverest, gentlest, most God-honoring women you will ever know. That the woman that I want to be "when I grow up" made her first quilt to be my first quilt has stitched itself permanently into my own heart. 

After making my quilt, Ruby has since made twin-size quilts for Lizard and Butterfly. They reflect each girl's personality so well, don't you think?

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the last three quilts especially!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilts are all so beautiful and fun. But, as you expressed in your beautiful heartwarming writing the hearts of those who made them and received them are even more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete